About Me

My photo
I still feel like a teenager on the inside, unfortunately my children do remind me how old I am!! I have lived for 20+ years as an Irish expat in The Netherlands. My favourite city here has to be Amsterdam.

Writing, reading, authentic living. It's all here at The Writing Process


Welcome to my blog. Let me start by telling you that I love writing. I love the sense of vitality it gives me. I love that it helps me to make sense of the world and to the people in it. I love that it helps me become wiser, more intuitive, empathic, and most of all autonomous.

All aspects - reading, writing and observing - are what make the process complete. The essence is storytelling, and learning about
life and yourself.


Friday, June 1, 2012

The Art Shop Presents: Guy Olivier Le Printemps


Once again I was privileged to be invited to opening of The Art Shop’s latest artistic exhibition – Le Printemps series from Guy Olivier. On a hot and sunny Monday afternoon I strolled in and was met by a wall of colour and passion. 

It’s manga, it’s burlesque, it’s decadence and opulence. It’s Toulouse Lautrec in the 21st century. But more than that, it’s a feast for the eyes and brings a smile to the face. 

With an almost perfect combination of colour, nonchalant composition and generous use of “straight from the tube” oil paints and stencils to create even more texture and depth, all applied in a seemingly effortless fashion, Olivier captures the “dangerous liaison” Parisian atmosphere so prevalent in the France of old.
Buxom ladies with scarlet lips drink wine and flutter eyelids behind elaborate masks, men wear bow ties, subtly drooling at the sight of almost naked breasts. 

Texture is enhanced by the stencils and thinner layers of paint just visible under the explosive top layers, applied in some places transparently thin and in others protruding thick.

The collection, exhibited as a whole against the wide expanse of the whitewashed wall, with plenty of floor space to stand back and take in the total effect, is tantalising, seductive and humorous. 

Well worth a visit. Thanks Maurice van Leeuwen for bringing this to Alphen aan den Rijn.

No comments: